Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thankful.

I have a lot to be thankful for.
An abundance.
And I am thankful for all of it. Every single bit.
I've seen posts through newsfeeds of friends popping up on Facebook of daily thanks.
Giving thanks each day.
I've wanted to jump on the bandwagon for quite a while.
November 1st came and went and before I knew it, it just felt like I was too late to the game to start them.

So here I am.
Ready.
And since today is ACTUAL Thanksgiving, I'm right on time.

I am thankful for the obvious things, my family, a roof over my head, healthy children.
But the other stuff. The stuff between the lines is what I'm extra thankful for this year.

I'm thankful for my house.
A house that is constantly, full of noise.
Robust giggling, straight from baby bellies.
And it's not always giggling.
But you know I'm thankful for the shrieking, the crying, the little shouts of defiance and independence too.
Because a house full of noise, means a house full of people.
My people.



 And man, I just love these people.
If I had nothing else in the world, but them, I'd still have everything.
I am so thankful for all four of them.

I'm thankful for little hands.
All six of these little hands are different shapes and sizes.
They vary from really little to not-so-little-but-still really small.
Thankful for the creativity these little hands give live to.
Creations of many walks of life.
Lego towers and painted pumpkins.
But the real masterpiece is their actual hands.
Soft. Delicate. Delicious.
Thankful for those little hands that still reach up in the middle of a bedtime story to feel my cheek.
When they interlock with mine, unprompted on a walk.
So thankful for thirty fingers to lick syrup off of.
Six little hands to be thankful for.


Thankful for this guy.



Because this whole gig would be a lot less vibrant without him.
His humor.
His love.
His arms wrapped around me.
He is my comfort, my home, my best friend.
Thankful he chose me.
 

Thankful for the father he is to our boys.
The kind of dad that deserves medals, praise, extra hugs.
We are so lucky.
So blessed.

I'm thankful for siblings.
The siblings given to me.
Sisters.
Best friends.
Thankful for the late night laughs and bottles of wine we share.



The siblings I've given to them.


Thankful for their compassion and love they share for one another.
Thankful for the unprompted hugs and kisses I see them willingly exchange.
Thankful for these relationships and bonds that are wildly strong and never ending.
I'm thankful for coffee.
It's steamy and delicious.
It's rich.
And it helps me power through my day.
The smell of coffee. The sound of a fresh pot brewing, as the goodness drips to the bottom of the pot.
It reminds me of home.
Of mornings.
Many of which seem to start entirely too early.
Coffee and snuggles are always the beginning of a new day.
Thankful for each day.

This year has just been filled with so much color.
So much liveliness.
So much love.
So much noise.
SO MUCH HAPPINESS.


My cup is full.
My house is happy.
My children are a delight. The light of my life.
And my life? 
My life is completely different than I could have ever imagined.
My life is more than I could have ever asked for.


You build these castles in the sky, not entirely sure of what matters.
But now I think I know.
They say not to sweat the small stuff.
But the small stuff is what seems more important to me.
And I may not have it all.
But I do.
I have everything I need, everything that matters.

 I have all of them.

All of this.
All these little hidden wonders.
Like sticky floors from tossed bowls full of oatmeal.
And a backyard full of buckets and balls.
A table full of Sharpie decor.
It's the little things.
And I'm thankful for all of this.

Lastly, I'm thankful for another wonderful year to share with all the loving people who surround me.
Thankful for all the opportunities past and present.  
Thankful for it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment