Monday, December 6, 2010

the holidays.

The holidays are among us. Seeing how the first week of December has already come and go, I figured I should recap our Halloween and Thanksgiving celebrations before I forget all about the wonderfulness they enveloped. We decorated with all things spooky and munched on candy, then did a quick turn around just four weeks later to munch on turkey and potatoes and enjoy the beautiful weather, while being thankful for full bellies and gorgeous weather.


I love matching outfits, pj's and anything else I can manage to match with the boys. In fact, it's one of the [many] reasons I am so excited that our newest nugget is another boy. More coordination coming soon! Holiday coordination is by far the best. Halloween costumes are not forgotten in the frenzy of candy - they too are accommodated to mesh together. Although Mason was really excited for Halloween this year, he wasn't particularly set on any one costume. I may have hit the floor on both knees in prayer stance, when he didn't demand to be Iron Man fully equipped with a plastic mask and sword.

I know my holidays are numbered, in fact, I'm fairly certain I will never again get to pick his costume, while enticing him on "HOW EXCITING IS IT GOING TO BE TO MATCH WITH MAX && (insert unnamed baby here)". Because next year it won't be exciting to him and I know it won't fly. But, the good news is. This year it did. Presenting Mario & Luigi.


And baby Yoshi coming this Spring. See how much I love to coordinate? If they made a Yoshi costume in maternity I would've taken one for the team. And if Michael hadn't been away on business, you better believe I would've found him a Wario costume in 25T, er maybe just adult.

Halloween was a success. Even with the amount of sugar ingested and the amount of face paint reapplied for mustaches, it was a total blast. We stayed out way too late. No one was scared, both boys loved helping Michael decorate. We even left our huge, fancy web hanging until the day after Thanksgiving. I figured when our neighbor had busted out her bright, blue lights, white felt for snow and music figurines for Christmas decor, it was time to say goodbye to our haunted house. Seriously, her bushes and shrubbery resemble the mother tree out of Avatar. Max ate through at least four candy wrappers for a Kit Kat or Milky Way...successful night for him? I think so. Mason ran his little heart out from door to door, for a whole hour past what I assumed he'd last. Casually stopping to gaze in to his bag and pick a sweet something to nosh on while he continued trekking the neighborhood. He loved every minute of it.

Thanksgiving didn't have quite the same excitement to it for Mason. Though I think he enjoyed it just as much. The weather was un-seemingly lot for November, even for us. We dined outside and made three stops around town to visit family, mingle with friends, and indulge ourselves in deliciousness. The boys were troopers and smiled, laughed and played through it all. They didn't mind the insane shuffle and eased in to each loving relatives arms and home unfazed.

At the end of the day, we arrived home, worn out, exhausted and realizing the bounty of gifts we have to be thankful for. Michael suggested we each share what we were most thankful for. After he and I had exclaimed our love and thankfulness for one and other and our children, Mason stated with ease "I am thankful for eating Lunchables before bed and puzzles". Maybe next year "mom" or "dad" will make a quick debut in his thankfulness. We know Max didn't make the cut this year.

Christmas is nearing quickly. The enthusiasm of the season is filling Mason's little heart more and more each day. His eyes light up and he speaks so promptly about the events that are going to take place in our living room shortly. Max senses the hubbub but doesn't display the same thrill for the holiday. Mason will randomly interject our conversations to remind us that Santa is watching us and we better behave. He revels in every lit house we pass by and every decorated tree we see brings extreme joy and sparkle to his eyes. I guess it's time we get to spreading the merriment through our own house. Perhaps we should embellish and perfect our house with more than just a simple wintery wreath.

No comments:

Post a Comment