Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Max is 3!

Max,

Happy birthday angel muffin!!


This marks number three.
The week leading up to your birthday I had a few conversations in my head. They all boiled down to something a lot like this:
Three?? Already??  Yup..Already. *sigh*
THREE!!
Really? REALLY.


Then the day came. THREE! Balloons suspended from every light fixture and inch of the ceiling (you can thank Daddy for that one. I fell asleep on the job. Literally). For some reason, certain ages seem so much older then the previous one. Three is one of those. It's a biggie for me.  Ancient in comparison to two. Not so much a baby. Don't be fooled, you will always be MY BABY.

But to everyone else, I think you are a "big" kid. A preschooler maybe? Okay, okay. LETS NOT GET CARRIED AWAY.



I remember your birth so vividly. Not so much like it was yesterday, but the details are still rich. 5:27 AM. 7 lbs even. 19 3/4 inches. The smell of the hospital, the excitement of your impending arrival. The anticipation. The decision of your name. You came to us quickly. So early, before the sun had risen.  And you were wide awake. Your little eyes stared straight in to mine. When I saw you I felt so content. My heart was so full. When your eyes met mine, it was like they'd been waiting to see me as long as mine had eagerly awaited seeing you. EYES, PURE BLACK. And you my darling.
Such a love.

Everything you do is done with energy and determination. You are feisty. Bubbly. Often times strong willed. You are so well spoken for three. You love to swim, color and blow bubbles. You sing loudly. You repeat TV and radio commercials. One of my favorite things about you is your voice. Sometimes quiet and timid, others so deep and hoarse.  I want to bottle it up and save it forever.



Your favorite things to play with are your Legos. You refuse to wear a shirt to bed or for much of the day. You pee more than any living thing I have ever met. The minute we get anywhere you HAVE TO PEE. In the car you HAVE TO PEE. I swear you do it for kicks.

You also devour sweets. If you ever have a hard time finding a job, just call Willie Wonka. You don't even discriminate against the sweets. Chocolate covered anything - sure why not. Lollipops? Two please. Ice cream, for breakfast, lunch and dinner? AMEN.

You can imagine your delight of sprinkle covered donuts FOR BREAKFAST yesterday.

Most days after your nap you come lay next to me. Still sleepy. You lounge lazily. A snuggler for sure. Little legs criss cross together, you perch yourself on my lap, your back rests neighboring my chest. Your thumb tucked between your lips.  And we breathe. More like sighs of comfort. Slow, heavy, with no place we have to be. Delaying the inevitable chaos soon to come.
These moments are fleeting.


You are the wild one Maximo. Yes, yes you are. Often times it's trying. I know it is just part of being three. But part of it is just your temperament. Strong. Determined. Stubborn, but not quite uncooperative.  As you age, it will be a wonderful characteristic. You are just you, with little regard to your surroundings. You do your thing, your way. I hope that never changes, because the little you who you are is exquisite. You are full of compassion. Even your soft, bitty lips kiss with force.



Happy third birthday little peanut butter.
I love you so incredibly much Max. You will always be my pocket-sized tornado.
I AM SO GLAD YOU ARE MINE.


to the moon and back -
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment